The Third annual Great Chocolate Wrecktoberfest will be held September 28-29, 2019 at Good Nature Farm Brewery at 1727 NY-12B in Hamilton. The bulk of events take place on Saturday from 11:30am-10PM. Sunday’s events will run 10:30am-5pm.
In September 1955, a freight train carrying chocolate derailed from the O&W railroad in Hamilton just yards from Good Nature’s original brewery. No one was hurt. No one was convicted of a crime. The whole event is shrouded in mystery and sweet memories. A celebration has been held annually in the Village in years past to honor the historic 1955 chocolate train wreck, but this will be the third held at Good Nature Farm Brewery dubbed the “Great Chocolate Wrecktoberfest.” Good Nature combined this celebration with another late September tradition – Oktoberfest! Good Nature’s annual weekend long Wrecktoberfest celebrates all things chocolate and beer. Join us for the 8th annual release of our limited release Imperial Chocolate Stout — The Great Chocolate Wreck — on draft and in cans. Enjoy a special Chocolate and German inspired menu, beer garden games, chocolate paired flights, music from traditional German Brass Band, the Oktoberbones, and free tours of the site of the Great Hamilton Chocolate Train Wreck. There is no cover charge for this family friendly event. Big thank you to our sponsors – Hamilton Historical Commission, Art Zimmer Productions, and First Transit Bus.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
BOTH DAYS –
* Enjoy this year’s edition of our limited release imperial chocolate stout – The Great Chocolate Wreck available on draft in in cans to take home!
* Special Chocolate & German themed menu
* Chocolate & Beer Paired Flights with Maxwell’s chocolates (until they’re gone!)
* photo display of historic Great Chocolate Wreck photos inside courtesy of the Hamilton Historical Commission
2:30 BOTH DAYS –
* Come and hear the story of the train carrying Nestle’s chocolate that wrecked in the Village of Hamilton. Special tours will be offered by Art Zimmer Productions each day at 2:30 pm at the site of the wreck, with free shuttle service supplied by First Transit/Colgate Cruiser.
* Live Music from traditional German Brass Band the Hohenfels Trombone Quartet AKA Oktoberbones!
4:30-9PM SATURDAY AND TBD TIME ON SUNDAY
Beer Garden Games with prizes to include
* Keg Toss, Stein Hoist, and more
Admission: This event is free and family friendly
Partners: The busses provided are compliments of First Transit, the Colgate Cruiser’s bus company. A display of historic photos provided by the Hamilton Historical Commission. The tour will be guided by the Joan Prindle and Art Zimmer. The train wreck site is currently being partially restored into a historic park for the village by Art Zimmer.
Good Nature Farm Brewery is family friendly and features a spacious beer garden and tap room with farm-to-table kitchen and a view into the manufacturing facility where the brewers craft exceptional beers from NYS ingredients. Read all about the history of Good Nature here: http://www.goodnaturebrewing.com/about/our-story/